Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Settling It Off

There is no other letdown like the letdown from a parent.
A parent is supposed to be the one who has taken care of you.
Who has watched and helped you grow and develop from the moment you entered the world.
A parent continues to help you throughout your life.
You are never too old to be under a parent's watch.
To receive hugs.
To receive praise.
To receive Love.
What happens when parents don't measure up?...
Significant hurdles for that child to get over when he or she becomes an adult.
Because there is no letdown like the letdown of a parent.
I can promise you that.
Some hold onto their parents and believe that someday they won't let them down anymore.
That, my friends, is almost laughable.
Parents will let their children down, some a whole hell of a lot more than others.
What really gets me going is when a parent starts letting down their child's child.
I cannot stand that.
It make's my blood boil.
To not be present in that child's life, even though they are surely "around". They are in the area, they just choose not to make a plan to see or be near their grandchild.
I really cannot explain how much that hurts me as a parent.
I'm not going to say too much more about this because I really do not like venting publicly (even though very little people probably visit this blog, which is good).
There are people out there that would say it could be worse, and that no one is perfect. That's all well and good, but how much slack can one receive? How many excuses should be put on the table? How much can we stick up for a parent who has simply failed at trying their best? And is now failing to deliver as a grandparent?

I only know because now I am a parent.
I know what it takes.
You are not doing it.
And you continue to let me down.

I promise not to make excuses or comparisons or rationalizations.
I promise to be a parent whom my daughter can depend on.
And to always let her know how much I love her.
_____________________________________________________________

Nooowwww! For some good music:

No comments:

Post a Comment