Sunday, June 26, 2011

Swimming in unfamiliar waters

I once swam with a shark in some water by the park
I wouldn't show him my eyes and I didn't ask to see his teeth
He showed me anyways and they were bright white like the stars that light the earth at night
As we circled our pool of water he told me he wanted out..
Out of his skin and out of the prison "we" put him in
I was sympathetic initially, but realized I was in my own prison
Just like the shark- "we" put me there
I explained to the shark the complications of our situations
He agreed that we were both prisoners
I wanted to tell him my secrets, but I knew he couldn't be trusted
He slowed down and the waves of water pushed and pulled us
I felt no control in the pool of water, which was no different than any slab of land I'd been on
He realized I wouldn't be staying, as I didn't have the proper adaptations to roam around with him forever
I swam to the edge of the pool, slowly lifted my body over the wall, and jumped to the still ground
We gave each other a gaze that let on to our reciprocity
The world didn't seem so big and confusing that night in the park
But it was wet and cold all the same

No comments:

Post a Comment